Appirio has won the 2020 Salesforce Innovation Award for MuleSoft for our work at National Grid.
Chosen from over 700 submissions reviewed and judged by the International Data Corporation, the award is a high honor, a culmination of Appirio’s hard work to stay on the cutting edge of innovation.
Salesforce recognizes the top innovators across cloud, industries and overall partner program performance each year, and Appirio's demonstrated excellence through transformative solutions created for National Grid earned them this honor. Because of the innovations in this solution, National Grid was able to reach further and grow faster with Salesforce. Appirio led transformation and collaboration efforts to help drive success.
The Appirio MuleSoft and the Wipro National Grid teams worked to deliver a unified, omnichannel customer and user experience using a global hybrid integration platform. The team created a unified 360 customer experience across 3 US states, 5 clouds, 8 subsidiary companies and applied it across 8 million customers in the US and 6 million in the UK.
Working in a complex regulatory compliance environment, National Grid had several functionalities that resided in different technology domains with various middleware platforms. National Grid wanted to combine them and make accessing information easier. Appirio was required to:
- Enable a self-service interface for the customer
- Give help desk agents access to real-time data that provides a 360 customer view
- Integrate all communications onto one platform – omnichannel (email, SMS, etc.)
- Develop a centralized system of record which captures customers preferences
To meet the needs of National Grid in the US and the UK, Appirio developed two different instances of the MuleSoft platform with a microservices architecture and a domain-driven API design.
- C4E was used to build and drive the API asset consumption, successfully enabling speed and agility.
- Automated MuleSoft Runtime Fabric environment configurated on Azure environments, split between an Azure Semi-Trusted Zone and an Azure Trusted Zone behind an Azure Firewall to provide security supporting their regulatory complexity.
- Developed a skeleton process flow components template to jump start MuleSoft API development.
- Deployed these Salesforce products to enable and enhance unparalleled customer and user experience.
SFDC Service Cloud – For self-service and help desk process automation
SFDC Marketing Cloud – Integrated omnichannel communication
SFDC Community Portal – Centralized customer portal with customer data centricity
Customer Preference Center – Enabling preference as a service (PaaS)
Field Service Lightning – For field service and maintenance
Appirio’s National Grid solution created a single source of truth for customer information. By linking two parts of the organization (US & UK), Appirio and National Grid was able to share knowledge and experience between the two teams, and with a central management structure, best practices are applied consistently and in a timely manner.
- The customer self-service portal resulted in in a 15% decrease in inbound calls to the call center and a 2-3-time reduction in customer data duplication.
- Website unique visitors increased by over 600,000 users in the first month, split equally between desktop and mobile access, with a more than 30% increase in power outage notifications
“As companies are accelerating their Digital Transformation, we are seeing increased adoption & necessity of platforms like MuleSoft to provide flexibility & scalability connecting Systems of Engagement with Systems of Record,” said Hari Raja, Vice President of Cloud Enterprise Platforms. “At Appirio, we have created several industry accelerators and delivery models that can supercharge customers in establishing a MuleSoft Center for Enablement alongside Shared Services Delivery driving faster time to market and reduced total cost of operations. We thank Salesforce and MuleSoft for recognizing the efforts put in by the Appirio Team to scale this business as one of the fastest-growing practices within the MuleSoft partner network and we look forward to continuing this partnership to exceed our joint customer expectations.”
Thank you to Salesforce and MuleSoft for recognizing Appirio!
About the AuthorFollow on Linkedin More Content by Laura Peterson